Hatching on a sinus

Last week, at the ECOTRON Ile de France research station, five students, one engineer and myself did a short experiment on hatching Austrolebias. We used a prototype of the ECOLAB developed there, to simulate a diurnal cycle with a ten degree temperature difference between night and day (going from 15 to 25 degrees). At four times during the cycle, we put embryos in the ECOLAB in multiwell plates and added 5 ml of “hatching water” to each well. We used about 400 embryos from several species.
The data will be analysed next Tuesday, but my first impression was that we had the least bellysliders when the embryos were wetted at 15 degrees, and the temperature went up to 20 degrees within the following six hours.
The ECOLAB consumes lots of energy and resources, so let’s hope our results pay off, that the outcome will make all our hatching more efficient. More on this next week.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *