Inside the wooden house, there is still fry approaching maturity. They were born a few weeks ago and have been fed once with Artemia, after that with pond invertebrates. Now they will need to overwinter at relatively small sizes and without heating. Critical to make this work seems to be using tanks with a large surface and low depth and to have sufficient thermal mass in the house. When I see a plastic box in a shop, I get the feeling I can predict how many I can raise in there to maturity, just by looking at the surface area. Maybe it’s time now to start experiments on density-dependent growth and survival in my fish.
In the house I also store orchids (Zygopetalum), palm trees (Archontophoenix) and citrus (Yuzu, finger lime) during winter and cuttings of Physalis Peruvian groundcherry.
This guy has made a wrong decision or has just been unlucky. I spotted him while fishing Chaoborus. That isn’t very easy at the moment, due to the layer of Asolla cristata. I try to remove it every week and plan to use it as a soil fertilizer.
This afternoon I wanted to capture some Chaoborus to feed my adults. DIfficult… The amount of rain has been so much the pumps aren’t draining the area enough.
To keep tanks clean(er), I decided to use plants that grow well and root well in water as filters. Here on the photograph three different plants on small floating islands in my fish basins, situated in an unheated greenhouse. They all grow through winter. Leftmost: Vietnamese coriander (Persicaria odorata), middle: Japanese parsley (Oenanthe javanica), right: watercress (Nasturtium officinale). What’s really great is that the plants need to be kept growing to make them take up nutrients. What helps well for that is harvesting them, and all three are edible. Aquaponics in its simplest form.
Scooping Daphnia in January. No Chaoborus to be seen.
Always funny to see what starts growing in small trickle filters after a while. This one – an Adiantum venustum I presume – managed to grow through a small hole in the lid of the container. Must like the peat accumulating inside.
Funny surprise a few days ago. Not a recent summer storm, but an Asian invader seems responsible for a lot of damage to one of my Musja basjoo lining the allotment. Less funny: the small canal aside is full of sticklebacks at this moment (already before the storm), eating the food for my killies away. When I fill my tanks, I need to be careful to keep them out.
At a big conference in Paris, CFCC15, I just put up my 100% recyclable poster. It’s edible. Must be possible to grow worms on it too.
When at work with my fish, this is one of my preferred lunches. Protein, fish, from a can, from a lovely country. Should work out how to recycle the can best. We should ship our eggs with paper covers like this.
At home are a few tanks with non-Austrolebias annual killifish. Six Nematolebias papilliferus “Inoa” were bred by Francisco Redondo, and I obtained them at the APK 2013 Convention. Some months later they are still doing great, in two tanks next to my desk. In a small experiment few years ago on this species, I found that the longer I stored their eggs, the more females I got. Something I want to repeat to be sure that I wasn’t dreaming.